February 21, 2011

I Now Inhale Books

I was asked to join a book club back in June by my friend Karen. She wanted to have a forum of smart, interesting women to talk about all kinds of books. I was flattered to be asked. And quite frankly, I think she did an excellent job in reaching out to some pretty awesome ladies. Every one of us was like, aren't book clubs for old ladies? But we put our preconceptions aside and jumped right into some awesome, thrilling conversation- whether it be about books or life. Awe, cue sentimental music. Seriously, sometimes I leave book club feeling politically radicalized even if we're reading schlock like Eat Pray Love.

Thanks to this book club I really feel like I'm flexing my muscles. I'm going to be leading book clubs sometime soon. Also, the fact that I'm not choosing what I read all the time is really expanding my genre reading. I'm not too picky but I do stay away from books like Eat Pray Love and Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. Those memoirs just don't strike me as must-reads. However, I read them, have an opinion on them and broadened my horizons- something I think everyone should do. Get out of the comfort zone and read something different. It's hard to force yourself to read something you wouldn't otherwise but when people hold you accountable to do so, it's really easy.

Where it was hard for me to read the aforementioned titles, I know it was hard for some members to make their way through Good Omens or Give Me Liberty. Our next book is Junot Diaz's Pulitzer Prize winning The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I'm curious to see how it is. I've known about it since it was published and Diaz is a writer that everyone has had their eye on since this book came out. I'm really looking forward to April's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I read his debut Everything is Illuminated and I loved it so much. He's incredible with character development and weaving intricate stories together. I'm jazzed! I'm just glad the group took my suggestion!

It'll be a year in June since we started the book club. I've gotten at least one job through the club, if not two, and a possible third. It's such an awesome group of women. I have a great time every time. Even if it seems a little awkward at times. But that could just be my big mouth.

No comments: