November 4, 2009

Let It Begin With Me

I think anti-gay marriage legislation is just plain mean. It's certainly not nice. It's not even civil. There's emotional mudslinging, slurs and vicious verbal attacks. I just don't understand why anyone would want to get in the way of other people's happiness and stability let alone taking it so far as to do it through the law. If you don't want gay people to marry, don't marry one. The world didn't end when the slaves were freed, women began to vote, when schools were desegregated or when people of different ethnicities were legally allowed to marry. Why will it end when gays can marry? I really need someone to explain it to me.

Kurt Vonnegut said that we all need to be unusually kind to each other. I agree. It makes total sense. Do unto others, right? But when you really get down to the brass tacks, everyone agrees with that in the abstract but not in execution. And that should change. I'm not saying it's easy to be nice to someone who is short with you has different values than you. I'm not always very nice. I can be pretty impatient with people and I know I need to change that. So I'm going to try. And everyone else out there should try too.

No comments: