August 16, 2009

The Toughest Thing I Ever Read

Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" was the most difficult book I've ever read because of the narrative. Faulkner wrote each chapter in the voice of a different character. The intelligence of the character and the vocabulary of the character varied significantly from one another. The younger or less well read each character was, the more focus it took out of me.

It was most definitely worth the effort because I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I finished. It was also a wonderful story told with the voices of fascinating people, filled with secrecy and heartache. A truly rewarding literary experience.

1 comment:

Tina Winston said...

Interesting. I think I will give it a try. Incidentally, is your banner a Katherine F. Stephens original of the Adirondacks? Love it. Oh, and Mike should name his homebrews after your blog somehow, like Wonky Ale or something, cuz that would be clever and people would want to drink it. Lastly, I saw your name in the last UMW magazine. They spelled your last name wrong and got your wedding date wrong, but you probably already told me that. Love you! :)