August 20, 2009

Time For A New Leaf

Weight Watchers doesn't have too much original material for me to read. It's been five years of being a subscriber so I understand that the whole idea of weight loss isn't full of revolutionary information. But every once in a while there is an article about attitude and loving yourself just the way you are that I read immediately. I'm not very good at loving myself and I welcome new insights and approaches.

The article that I read the other day was about loving your body before you embark on any weight loss journey. I find that to be terribly ironic since people lose weight because they don't like their body- not because they do. (I understand that many people lose weight for health reasons but they are a minority in the American weight loss community.) Despite my initial attitude towards this approach I am beginning to find the merit. So lately I've been putting more effort into loving my body the way it is. Why shouldn't I? It's my body. It's my vehicle to live my life the way I want. Why waste energy hating it? Once I can let that frustration go I will be free.

That's really my goal- to feel free and in love with my publicly lauded ass. I guess I felt losing weight was the only answer. It's really not. The article really drove the point home when it gave me the perspective of being my own best friend. I'm disgusted with the way I speak to myself. Would I tell any of my friends they are a disgusting fat-ass? Or a lumpy tub of goo? Or will never look as fit as they feel? No. NO. I would never say that. So why do I say those things to myself? It's ludicrous. And crazy. I make jokes about things I don't like about myself to bring levity to my negativity. "The only part of my body that got wet in today's rainstorm was my ass. Because it didn't fit under the umbrella. Zing!" Why zing myself? To make others laugh? I need to find a new hobby.

I'm going to redirect my hateful energy into saying supportive things to myself. Truthful supportive things. There's no use in telling myself I have could be a Sports Illustrated model. That's just not real. (Nor are they. See what I did there? Haha.) I think I'll start with liking my skin. Mikey tells me I have such lovely skin. I should really start listening to him. And I need to stop listening to my negative self.

2 comments:

Cmoore180 said...

I'm a big fan of your new commitment to be your own best friend... I'll be your best friend's best friend :)

Keep it up!

Tina Winston said...

I know exactly what you mean. I heartily applaud your new approach, and wish you all the best. And, you do have awesome skin. :)