October 6, 2012

And the Lord Said, You Crazy


As you know, I’ve done a few triathlons and half-marathons. Training and racing has been something that I find tremendous joy in and as a friend of mine put it- it’s time for me to step up my game. Two half-marathons? I'm getting lazy. So when I received an invitation in the mail to join the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training I thought I’d see how they could help me train for a marathon. I need a new goal and something to help me keep my mind from wandering to dark places. Helping others is a great way to keep looking forward.

I got to the coffee shop a little late from traffic but they were so nice I didn't feel like a jerk at all. Okay, maybe a little. But almost immediately I realized there was no way I couldn’t join Team in Training. Here is a group of people who train for distance events together, honoring those affected by leukemia or lymphoma. I heard about how research for blood cancers helped lead the way in discovering new treatment for all cancers. For example, chemotherapy was developed initially for blood cancers and now it’s routine treatment for many different cancers. Much of this research was made possible due to the fundraising efforts of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. LLS helped raise millions of dollars and Team in Training was, and still is, a big part of that. I would be training with people who want to help others. Our shared goals of finding a cure and achieving a tremendous physical feat together, as a team, would be too much for me to say no to. I signed up then and there.

I need your help to raise $3,800 by January 13th, the day I'll be running the Disney Marathon with my team and fellow fanatics. It's going to be great. Your donation will not only help me reach a fundraising goal, it will help every single person whose lives have been disrupted by blood cancers. Please help me help them.

I run not for me, my health or for fun. I’m running for those who are no longer with us- those who can no longer run, feel the sun on their face or hear the voice of their loved ones. I’m running for those who fight, who need hope, who need strength to face treatment. I’m running for those who’ve survived so they can share their story.

Please help me by donating. Why not a dollar for every mile I will run? You can go to my fundraising page


Together we can find a cure. You guys are awesome. Thank you.

No comments: