April 20, 2010

I'm Up Here

Our Verizon contract has been up since March but I keep failing to go to the mall to re-up for a few reasons- 1) I don't like the mall, 2) I'm lazy, 3) I don't have the money to buy a new phone and 4) I am convinced if Mike gets a smart phone he will never talk to me again. I am already an Internet widow. I do not wish to add Smart Phone Widow to my resume. I have entire conversations with Mike- conversations in which he participates, mind you- while he's on his laptop, and he doesn't remember having them. Yeah, that's always good for a laugh. I can't imagine the rolling in the aisles that will happen once he acquires a smart phone.

I know the phone isn't the problem, the user is the problem. It's not the iPhone's fault when its owner ignores people at parties. Nor is it the Blackberry's fault when its owner walks into a pole while checking her Facebook page. I don't understand the fascination when the Internet is NOT A NEW THING. If the tiny screen is what is so fascinating, just look at a laptop computer monitor the wrong way through a magnifying glass. Problem solved. And stop checking for texts or tweets while I'm talking to you.

What is the need to be connected all the time? I get reprimanded for not always answering my cell phone. Just because I have a cell phone doesn't mean I should be accessible 24 hours. And if I get a smart phone, the same applies. Have a life without your phone or the Internet. I don't know how life would be THAT MUCH better with a smart phone. Is checking imdb.com while shopping that important? If so, then someone needs to get a life. And it's not me.

No comments: