December 11, 2008

Christmas Time is Here

Since Christmas is two weeks away, I've been listening to hours of Christmas music. I force myself to forgo normal music during the entire month of December. Not because I don't like my Christmas music, since I LOVE IT, but because it's just habit to reach for Radiohead and not Dean Martin singing lecherously about how it's cold outside (is it me, or is his rendition of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" just a little too creepy?). For the past five years or so I've been searching for not-your-run-of-the-mill Christmas music and creating mixes of them. I love a rousing rendition of Peter, Paul and Mary's "Children Go Where I Send Thee" but since my mother is allergic to any good holiday music I've listened to that album enough for a lifetime. In my quest I've found some songs that are super and others that are so bad I'd rather risk molestation by a drunk-o Dino instead of listen to them. Today, I'm going to share with you some of those super songs if I can find them on the YouTube. If not, I'll just tell you about them and leave it to your imagination.

Sufjan Stevens, "Put The Lights on the Tree"

Just so perky and awesome.

Sammy Davis Jr., "Christmas Time All Over the World"

This is one that I'd rather get roofied but Mike loves it and does a killer Sammy D impression.

Sufjan Stevens, "That Was the Worst Christmas Ever"

I know it's the second song by this guy but I love the forlorn-ness of it. Very quiet which is unusual for a Christmas song.

Sarah McLachlan, "Happy Xmas (War is Over)"

OMG this song makes me cry so much but I love it.

David Bowie and Bing Crosby, "Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth"

David Bowie give me a boner and this song did too until I found out Bing beat his kids. Now I just enjoy it immensely.

The Pogues, "Fairytale of New York"

Who doesn't love a Christmas song featuring abusive lovers?

I think that's enough for today. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. But songs that I can't find to embed are pretty awesome and I suggest you find them- Sheryl Crow "Blue Christmas" love the xylophone and MOST IMPORTANTLY Holly Golightly's "The Christmas Tree's On Fire." It's an important song about Christmas safety as well as a great song to jam to!

No comments: