November 19, 2008

The Blogger Wore Tennis Shoes

Heels are not something I wear often. If at all. I wore them last year during the wedding marathon of 2007 and it was bearable- probably because I would get drunk enough at each reception that I didn't notice. Then again the heels I wear aren't all that high to begin with. The first time I wore heels I was 13 and it was my confirmation and I couldn't walk without wobbling, go to the video tape, and I almost fell head first into the bishop's lap for my blessing. To top it off I don't wear hosiery with them (feeling like a sausage is not preferable to my comfort level) and my feet sweat enough that I think I'm going to lose my shoes. All things considered I haven't been inclined to wear heels very much at all.

Luckily my employers are both casual so I wear sneakers and other kinds of plain, flat shoes every day. I also walk to work so I don't want to wear heels since walking in them causes me foot pain and terrible blisters. I know that if I were to wear heels more often my feet would get used to them and the skin would get stronger and blisters would be less of an issue. But I just don't want to. Why would I want to subject myself to unnecessary pain if I don't have to? I'll be better off for it in my old age anyway, less back pain and fewer foot problems.

You'd think with the fashion trend of ballet flats that I would be super excited and wear them all the time but I developed a complex where I thought I was too bottom heavy for them. I know that sounds stupid but the flats make your feet look really small and I carry my weight in my hips and thighs. I didn't want to look like a walking fun house mirror.

I caved last week when I saw a really cute pair of flats at Target. (I wore them today and my feet were beet red when I finally got to the office. Soooo cooooold.) I figured one day I'm going to get a job that requires something more professional looking than sneakers and I need to start slowly collecting appropriate attire for when that miraculous day comes, should it ever. Tomorrow I'm going to buy another pair of flats from the Interwebs. Combine these two pairs with the kitten heels I have and I think I'm going to be set for now. In the meantime, I think I'm going to treat myself to a new pair of Vans slip-on sneakers. Man, those are comfortable and they don't make my feet sweat.

No comments: