October 7, 2008

Grammar is the Jam to My Language Toast

Today we're going to cover there, their, they're. It is important to not look like a boob in one's writing so we're going to discuss the difference between the three. They are frequently confused with one another and to say I didn't confuse them once or twice myself would be a lie. But I usually catch it and correct it in proof reading and that's why I look like just an idiot instead of a boob.

Here's today's quiz:

1) When the meals for Meals on Wheels are ready, Michelle Obama will make sure their on the correct bus.

2) Sarah Palin and her family doesn't realize that it is not okay to end all they're words without a hard "g." I guess over their in Alaska there ain't no "g's" to be found.

3) The Obama girls just love their Jonas Brothers.

4) The Palin girls totally paid attention to there abstinence only sex education.

This quiz is a little silly because most people know that their is the possesive of they, that they're is a contraction of they are, and there is a location. However, when people don't pay attention to what they are doing, it's easy to slip and type the incorrect word. It doesn't help at all that they all sound exactly the same in one's head. So, how'd you do?

1) When the meals for Meals on Wheels are ready, Michelle Obama will make sure they're on the correct bus.

2) Sarah Palin and her family doesn't realize that it is not okay to end all their words without a hard "g." I guess over there in Alaska there ain't no "g's" to be found.

3) The Obama girls just love their Jonas Brothers.

4) The Palin girls totally paid attention to their abstinence only sex education.

There was a trick in there- #2 had three uses and two were incorrect. The third there was used correctly. The only fully correct answer was #3. It's true those little rascals just love those queer Jonas brothers. Yes, indeedy.

3 comments:

Tina Winston said...

yay, i got them all right :) you should teach. i can't tell you how badly scholarly writers need training in grammar. it's sad, really. if you love grammar, you should read Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. grammatical hilarity.

Anonymous said...

I am constantly catching myself correcting for their and there, but never they're. OK, next I want to see "effect" and "affect," or "capital" and "Capitol." These are quick kills; if you should decide to do "who" and "whom," I'm bailing out and I won't look back...

belleshpgrl said...

Thanks, Tina. I read her other book and wasn't impressed but it had nothing to do with grammar. I have to get my hands on it.