August 25, 2008

I Don't Even Need to Know Your Name

A lot of bloggers have gotten book deals these days. Most of the books are memoirs. I am a little surprised by that because these bloggers aren't particularly famous people, they're just like me- someone who enjoys writing and decided to put it up on the Internet to share with others. Don't get me wrong, the bloggers whose websites I frequent with book deals deserve them. I love checking out their sites every day to either laugh with them, hurt with them, or see myself in them. These blogs are blogs I can relate to because the authors are genuine and heartfelt.

A blogger I read often, Deus Ex Malcontent, commented about how after posting his Hurricane Andrew experience, sales in his memoir spiked. That got me thinking. Why would a particular blog post send people to buy a book by an ordinary (though very intelligent and interesting) Joe? Then I read the story and it answered my question. Wanting the memoir isn't so much about the person, it's about someone who writes captivatingly about things that any of us can experience. Does it make his life less interesting because he's not famous? No. If anything, it's part of the book's appeal. (It goes to mention that he survived a brain tumor and got fired from his job at CNN over his blog- also very interesting.)

I am much more interested in people like me. I don't care what those kids on The Hills go through. I'll never relate to those sh*theads. I'd rather read about Dooce's dog Chuck or about Sweet Juniper's farmer's market haul. Or better yet, check out Jana's daily photo. There are so many other blogs in my cache that are just great. These bloggers share something of themselves and let me into their lives. I don't know them and they don't know me. But I do know that I'm not alone.

No comments: