July 15, 2008

I Was in the Eye of the Tiger

I had my triathlon two days ago! I'm still so excited that I did it. I freestyled the whole way, biked the whole way, and ran the whole way. I don't know what my time is but I think it's around 1:40. I am so happy with that! I wish it broke down the times by event. I think I swam it in 5 minutes, biked in 55 or so and ran in 35 or 40. I wore one of those timing chips around my ankle and by the end of the race that stupid thing cut holes into my flesh. Those never give accurate times anyway- I want my flesh back.

I think I'm going to do another race the 23rd of August. Now that I know what to expect and that I can do it, I'm eager to repeat that excitement. I was filled with trepidation all the way up to this one because I just didn't know what to expect. Mike and I tried to find the route so I could get familiar with it but a lot of it was on roads we couldn't drive. I had nightmares about being lost- whenever I run 5ks I'm always alone. People just speed right by me and I was positive that would happen in this race. My most memorable nightmare went like this: I was so slow that I got picked up by a van for the too slow or injured. There was this guy looking at me and I asked him what the van was for. He glared at me, "If you'd done more triathlons you would know this van is for drop-offs." Okay... The van dropped everyone off but me and that guy and finally that guy got dropped off in a creepy, snowy village. The next thing I knew vampires were jumping out of the cottages and I had to battle them. All because I didn't know the route and I'm slow.

Needless to say that didn't happen. I swam over people! I biked past people older than 10! And I ran the whole way- even uphill! Everyone there was really nice, Mike was there for every transition, my boss and her husband were along the bike path, and some of my closest friends and Mike's parents came to see me finish. It was a perfect first triathlon experience. I can't wait to do it all again. But in the meantime, I'm going to relax and say my final goodbye to Schlomey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so proud of you, young grasshopper.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And you left people in your wake! It's always great to see someone set their mind on a goal and kick some ass on their way to achieving it.

Anonymous said...

Super work youngster, I would have been there if I could. Thanks for some vicarious thrills for the old man!